To access the guide on how to register for the Member Portal click here.

  • Q1. Do you have to work in the energy industry to join?

    No. The Fund is a profit-for-member superannuation fund with a legacy for employees working in the energy industry in Queensland. Today, we are a Public Offer fund, which means our membership is drawn from a much wider community, including spouses, other family members and friends. Want to find out more information on becoming a member? Visit our 'How To Join' page.

  • Q2. What do I need to do to get the Government co-contribution?

    You may be able to get up to $500 from the Federal Government added to your superannuation account if you qualify for the Government's co-contribution scheme. To qualify you usually have to meet the following criteria:

    • You must make one or more eligible personal after tax contributions to a super fund by 30 June each financial year
    • At least 10% of your total income* is from eligible employment** and/or conducting a business.
    • If you are age 65 or over then you must satisfy a work test. You must be gainfully employed for at least 40 hours in a period of not more than 30 consecutive days in the financial year in which the contribution is made.
    • Be under age 71 at the end of the financial year
    • Your total income for the financial year should be less than the higher income threshold of $56,112 p.a for 2021/22
    • You must not have held a temporary resident visa at any point during the financial year unless a New Zealand citizen or holder of prescribed visa.
    • Lodge your income tax return for the financial year.

    You will not be eligible if your total superannuation balance at the end of 30 June each financial year is $1.7 million or more.

    To learn more about the Government co-contribution, including eligibility details and contribution calculations, see our How Super Works Guide.

    * Total Income is defined as your assessable income plus reportable fringe benefits plus reportable employer superannuation contributions (e.g. salary sacrifice). Your employer can give you information about Reportable Employer Superannuation Contributions and Fringe Benefits that apply to you.

    ** Eligible employment is where a person is treated as an employee for Superannuation Guarantee purposes.

  • Q3. Can I roll my other super accounts into my Energy Super account? If so how?

    Yes, simply complete:

    Before consolidating your super accounts, be sure to check with other funds about exit or withdrawal fees or whether you’ll have any loss of services or benefits such as insurance. It can also be important to consider discussing your personal circumstances with a financial adviser.

  • Q4. How can I find my old super accounts?

    If you've lost track of some of your super it's probably been registered with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) as lost super.  To locate your lost super simply complete our finding my lost super form, enter your Tax File Number (TFN), name and date of birth. And we’lll do the rest.

    Learn more.

  • Q5. Can I make contributions on behalf of my spouse?

    Yes, providing your spouse is under age 65 or, if aged 65-69, has been gainfully employed for at least 40 hours over a period of no more than 30 consecutive days in the financial year in which the contribution is made.

    Making contributions for your spouse helps build a superannuation benefit for your spouse and you may be eligible to claim a tax offset.

    If your spouse's income is less than $37,000 p.a. you can claim a tax offset of 18% of the super contributions (up to a maximum of $3,000 p.a.) made on behalf of your spouse (this provides a maximum tax offset of $540 annually). The sum of your "Spouse's" accessible income for the financial year must be less than $40,000. You will not be eligible if your spouse's total superannuation balance at the end of 30 June each financial year is $1.7 million or more.

    To make these contributions simply complete a Spouse Contribution Form and return it to us with your super payment.

  • Q6. Do I need to complete any forms if I’m making contributions using BPay or Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)?

    • For BPay, you don't need to complete a form (simply call the  contact centre on 13000 436 374 for your biller code and reference number)
    • For EFT, you do need to complete a form.

    Different contributions are treated differently for tax purposes, so we need to know how to allocate each contribution. Therefore you need to complete and return the relevant form (i.e. a Lump Sum Contribution Payments or  Spouse Contribution. Or contact us and we'll send the forms to you. The sooner we get your completed form, the sooner we can invest your contribution.

    If your employer is not registered as an Energy Super Employee, you or your employer can still make contributions via your financial institution's online or phone service.

  • Q7. Where are my funds invested if I don't complete the investment choice section on my application form?

    Not all members have the same views about how their super should be invested.  That's why we give you the opportunity to choose the investment strategy that best suits your investment style and tolerance for risk.

    See the full range of investment options available to our members.

    If you don't make an investment choice when joining the Fund your super will be invested in the default option applicable to you.  For all new members this will be the MySuper investment option.

  • Q8. What are my options if I leave my employer? Can I stay with the Fund??

    In most cases you can take your Energy Super account with you.  Simply give your new employer a completed Pay My Super Into Energy Super.

    If you're leaving your employer you should also contact us to discuss your insurance arrangements as soon as possible. You may be able to continue your cover without providing evidence of health. To find out more call us on 1300 436 374.

    If you're leaving your employer as a Defined Benefit member and want to keep your Energy Super account, please call us on 1300 436 374 to discuss your options.

  • Q9. What sort of insurance cover is offered with my Energy Super account?

    We have a range of convenient, low cost insurance arrangements including:

    It's important to read the Member Guide and Product Disclosure Statement - Defined Contribution first to find out what sort of insurance cover is suitable for you and the eligibility criteria. We also offer members a range of educational modules, including insurance.

  • Q10. Do I have to choose my beneficiaries or is there a default option?

    It is strongly recommended that you choose your superannuation beneficiaries. In the event there is no nomination, the Fund's trustees have discretion over where your superannuation is distributed upon your death.

    A Will only deals with assets that are owned by the testator, or creator of the Will, in their own right.  Assets that are controlled, but not owned, cannot pass through the Will.  Superannuation funds are held in trust, which means they do not classify as an estate asset and cannot pass through a Will.  That's why nominating your beneficiaries is important to avoid the uncertainty of having someone else make the decision on your behalf.

    There are generally two types of nominations where you can choose your preferred beneficiaries:

    A non-binding nomination is not legally binding and only persuasive in terms of helping Fund trustees delegate your super. A binding nomination legally requires trustees to respect your beneficiary wishes. A non-lapsing nomination is similar to a binding nomination, however a non-lapsing nomination will not expire after three years. In nominating beneficiaries the person nominated to receive your superannuation benefit must be your dependant or legal personal representative, as defined under the Superannuation Industry (Supervision) Act 1993.

    You can nominate beneficiaries anytime. To nominate your beneficiaries please complete the relevant death benefit nomination form in the forms section of our website.

  • Q11. When can I access my superannuation and how do I access it?

    Because superannuation is intended to be a long term investment, the Government requires that it remain preserved in a super fund until you meet a 'condition of release'.

    There are three preservation components that can be accessed at different times:

    • Unrestricted non-preserved benefits - these are benefits contributed to prior to preservation rules, or benefits that you have voluntarily kept in super after you met a condition of release.  These can be accessed any time.
    • Restricted non-preserved benefits - these are benefits that are not preserved but may be linked to employment with your contributing employer, or other fund rules which restrict access to the benefits.  Once you've left your employer, or met the release criteria, these benefits can be accessed.
    • Preserved benefits - these are benefits that must remain preserved in superannuation until you satisfy a condition of release.

    Your preservation age is the age at which you can access your benefits if you are permanently retired. This depends on your date of birth and will normally be between age 55 and 60.

    For more information please read our How Super Works Guide which includes information on conditions of release, accessing benefits for medical reasons, and other factors worth considering..

  • Q12. Can I only make one type of contribution?

    No. Contributions are generally divided into two categories - before tax (concessional) and after tax (non-concessional).

    Concessional contributions are the contributions you and your employer make into super before tax is taken out of your wages.  These contributions are subject to a concessional tax rate of 15% that is applied when they go into the Fund, provided that the Fund has been informed of your Tax File Number (TFN).  Concessional contributions include:

    • Compulsory employer contributions (including Superannuation Guarantee (SG) and Award contributions).
    • Any salary sacrifice contributions you arrange with your employer to be made into your Energy Super account.
    • Personal contributions for which a tax deduction is claimed

    Non-concessional contributions include:

    • Personal after tax contributions (regular or lump sum)
    • Spouse contributions
    • Excess before tax contributions
    • Some amounts transferred from overseas pension funds that are not subject to contributions tax

    The following contributions are not taxed going into the Fund but do not count as a non-concessional contribution:

    • Government's co-contribution
    • LISTO (Low Income Super Tax Offset)
    • Personal injury payments where no tax deduction is claimed
    • Small business sale proceeds up to the capital gains tax cap

    There are limits and caps for certain contributions, so for more information please read our How Super Works Guide. It outlines the taxation applied to your contributions, investment returns, and benefit payments.

  • Q13. What are the benefits of salary sacrificing?

    Salary sacrifice is an arrangement between an employee and an employer where the employee chooses to forgo (or sacrifice) part of their salary as income, and instead has it paid into superannuation as a before tax contribution, or towards another approved salary sacrifice arrangement.  The process by which salary sacrificing to super works is:

    • An employee chooses to forgo an amount of their salary and have it paid into super instead, providing the employer agrees
    • The employee's before tax income is reduced by this amount
    • This amount is paid into super as an employer-paid contribution, referred to as a concessional contribution
    • As the contribution is a concessional contribution it is subject to a 15% contributions tax on entry to the Fund

    Depending on your personal financial situation you may pay less tax resulting in either increased take home pay or increased super contributions.  Superannuation contributions are generally taxed at a lower rate than your salary. By diverting part of your salary to your super before tax is calculated and deducted, you may pay less tax on that amount.

    Any salary sacrificed amounts are reportable employer super contributions (RESC). RESC amounts are included on your payment summary and will effect income tests,  some tax offsets, deductions, Medicare levy surcharge and certain government benefits.

    For more information please read our Salary sacrifice Fact sheet.

  • Q14. What happens if I am only a temporary resident of Australia?

    Effective from 18 December 2008, if you are a temporary resident and do not claim your departing Australia superannuation payment (DASP) within six months of departing Australia and your visa has ceased to be in effect, The Fund is required to transfer your superannuation benefit to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) as unclaimed money.  In that case you will have to claim your DASP benefit from the ATO.

    If the Fund transfers your DASP benefit to the ATO, then in accordance with relief provided by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC), we will not issue you with an exit statement.

    If your DASP benefit is transferred to the ATO by the Fund, you may claim your benefit directly from the ATO.  We are required to provide you with information to assist you with this, and will endeavour to do so within one month from when you contact us.

    You can contact the ATO on +61 2 6216 1111 between 8am to 5pm Australian Eastern Standard Time, Monday to Friday.

    More ATO - superannuation information for temporary residents departing Australia.

  • Q15. Thinking of opening an Self Managed Super Fund. Get all the information first.

    Opening a self-managed super fund (SMSF) is like any other financial decision, only you can decide if it’s right for you, no-one else can make this decision for you. So it's important to take the time and get informed. Find out more.

  • Q16. What are the Fund's ABN, SPIN, RSE, and SFN?

    Useful numbers:

    • MySuper Product Number: 23 053 121 564 638
    • Australian Business Number (ABN): 23 053 121 564
    • Registrable Superannuation Entity Number (RSE): R1000160
    • Unique Superannuation Identifier (USI): 23 053 121 564 004

    The Fund like many other funds does not have a Superannuation Product Identification Number (SPIN)

  • Q17. Your Information your way

    You’re trusting us with your retirement savings and from time to time we need to contact you with important information that you need to know and that might affect your account.

    In the new year we’ll be doing this electronically, for example we’ll send you an email with a link to the information or an SMS referring you to information on our website. We think this is a more efficient – and environmentally responsible – way to communicate with our fast-growing membership.

    Of course, you can choose how you’d like to receive this information. Just contact us on 1300 436 374 or online via Member Portal.