Getting your super

Your super is a long-term investment designed to provide for your future, which is why it’s protected (or ‘preserved’) by law.

Join as a pension member

Generally, you must reach ‘preservation age’ before you can access your super (explained in the table below). There are some exceptions, though, such as for medical or hardship reasons (outlined in the How Super Works Guide) or when transitioning to retirement.

First Home Super Saver Scheme

If you’re on the hunt for a first home, you may be able to use some of your super to save for a deposit. To find out whether you’re eligible to withdraw up to $15,000 in any one financial year (total maximum of $30,000) to buy your first home, visit:

In the 2021 Federal Budget the Government announced the  proposed change to the maximum releasable amount of voluntary concessional and non-concessional contributions.  For more information on this proposed change read our 2021-22 Federal Budget Wrap Up

What is your preservation age?

Your preservation age is the age at which you can access your benefits if you’re permanently retired. It depends on your date of birth.

When you can access your super

If you were born on or before 30 June 1961, you can access your super now. If you were born after this date, check the table below.

Born on or between

Preservation age

1 July 1961 and 30 June 1962

57 years

1 July 1962 and 30 June 1963

58 years

1 July 1963 and 30 June 1964

59 years

1 July 1964 to now

60 years

There may be limited circumstances where you can access your super before your preservation age. To do so you need to meet a 'condition of release'. Our How Super Works Guide outlines the conditions of release, how to access benefits for medical reasons, and other factors worth considering.

Transition to retirement

You can also access some of your super from age 55, while you're still working, with a transition to retirement strategy.

How can I access my super?

Once you’ve retired, you have 3 options. You can:

Read our How Super Works Guide for more information.

To make a withdrawal, submit a Benefit Payment Request Form.