Relying on your employer’s contributions and the Age Pension to support you later in life could easily leave you without enough money for a comfortable retirement.

Making extra contributions could help you make the most of your super contributions and grow your retirement nest egg.

We could help you find the most tax-effective way to boost your super, particularly when it comes to making additional voluntary contributions.

It’s important to understand how much extra you can contribute to your super before you are liable for added tax.

By making extra contributions you may also be eligible for bonus contributions from the Government.

Not sure what’s best for you? Our expert advice and online tools and calculators can help.

  • Employer contributions

    You’re eligible to receive superannuation guarantee (SG) contributions from your employer if you earn $450 or more in a month. If you’re under 18, you also need to work more than 30 hours a week.

    These SG contributions are based on 10% of your 'ordinary time earnings' and are taxed at 15%. The SG rate will increased gradually each year until it reaches 12%.

  • Personal contributions

    You can make regular personal contributions into your super as either before tax (salary sacrifice arranged with your employer) or after tax contributions.You can also make lump sum contributions. Personal Contributions are subject to contribution caps and rules, for more information about the caps and the eligibility rules see Contribution Limits below.

    Regardless of your employment status you may be eligible to claim a tax deduction on your super contributions. To claim a personal tax deduction, you'll need to advise us by completing and returning a Deduction for personal super contribution Form and indicating the amount you intend to claim.

  • Spouse contributions

    Making additional super contributions for your spouse helps build their superannuation benefit. You may also be eligible to claim a tax rebate.

    Additional Superannuation Contributions must come from your after tax salary.

    If your spouse's income is less than $37,000 p.a. you can claim a tax offset of 18% of the super contributions (up to a maximum of $3,000 p.a.) made on behalf of your spouse. This gives you a maximum tax offset of $540 a year. The tax offset phases out for incomes between $37,000 p.a. and $40,000 p.a

  • Splitting contributions

    Superannuation splitting lets you split your before tax superannuation contributions (employer sponsored or salary sacrifice) with your spouse.

    It’s especially useful for couples when one spouse:

    • isn’t working; or
    • earns significantly less than the other; or
    • has very high levels of superannuation compared to the other spouse; or
    • is likely to have high levels of super in the future.

    Super Contribution splitting is attractive if you're interested in a more tax-effective way of saving for retirement.

    Contribution splitting gives eligible couples the chance to:

    • Accumulate superannuation benefits more evenly over time
    • Maximise combined tax free thresholds
    • Take advantage of group insurance rates available for Energy Super account holders.

    To find out if you're eligible or for details please refer to the How Super Works Guide.

  • Co-contributions

    You may be eligible to receive super co-contributions. If you make after tax contributions the Federal Government may also make additional contributions (co-contributions) if your income is below a prescribed threshold.

    To find out if you're eligible or for details please refer to the How Super Works Guide.

  • Rollovers/transfers

    If you have more than one super account, transferring all your funds into your Energy Super account can save you time and money as well as boost your super savings. You’ll also have more control over your investment strategy.

    Transferring all your funds into your Energy Super account is quick and easy by completing the Transfer You Super Form.

    Learn more about the benefits of rollovers.

  • Payment options

    Energy Super offers the following flexible payment options:

    BPAY® ─ You can transfer contributions directly from your bank account to your Energy Super account. Contact us on 1300 436 374 for your personal reference number.

    Payroll deduction ─ You’ll need to speak to your employer to ask if you are able to make personal contributions to your super, and arrange deductions from your pay if you’re able to do so. These contributions can be after-tax (i.e. member voluntary) or before tax (i.e. salary sacrifice). More information on salary sacrifice please refer to the Salary Sacrifice Factsheet.

    Cheque ─ You can make lump sum contributions by cheque. Simply make cheques payable to 'Energy Super' and enclose a completed Lump Sum Contribution Payment Form.

    Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) ─ You can make contributions by EFT. Just contact us for EFT details on 1300 436 374 and complete a Lump Sum Contribution Payment Form.

  • Contribution limits

    There are limits to the total value of contributions you can make or receive without being charged extra tax.

    Getting financial advice can help you work out how much extra you can contribute to your super without incurring additional tax.

    The contribution caps for the 2021/22 financial year are:

    Concessional contributions cap = $27,500

    Non-concessional contributions cap = $110,000* - or $330,000 on a bring-forward basis if you're under age 67^

    * You can only make non-concessional contributions in the 2021/22 financial year if your total superannuation balance is less than $1.7 million. If your total superannuation balance is more than $1.48 million, you are exempt from the 'bring-forward' rule.
    ^From 1 July 2021 the cut-off age for accessing the bring forward non-concessional contributions cap increased from 65 to 67 years. If you are under 67 (at any time during the financial year), you can bring forward up to two future years' entitlements by making non-concessional contributions in that year of more than $110,000. Where the 'bring-forward' rule is used, total non-concessional contributions made in the three-year period (starting on 1 July of the first financial year in which non-concessional contributions exceeded the cap) cannot exceed $330,000. For further information about contribution types and limits please read the How Super Works Guide
  • Downsizer contributions

    If you are 65 and older you can make a non-concessional (after-tax) superannuation contribution of up to $300,000 (total $600,000 for couples) from the proceeds of selling your home, which was your main residence and where the exchange of contracts for sale occurred on or after 1 July 2018.

    For further information about Downsizer Contribution eligibility requirements and making a downsizer contribution please read the How Super Works Guide.

  • First Home Super Saver Scheme (FHSS)

    The FHSS Scheme allows you to save money for a first home by making voluntary concessional (before-tax) contributions, including salary sacrifice and non-concessional (after-tax) contributions into your super fund.

    Any contributions made from 1 July 2017 may be released up to a maximum of $15,000 for any one financial year and $30,000 in total across all years. You will also receive an amount of earnings that relate to those contributions.

    You must meet the eligibility requirements to apply for the release of your savings. For further information visit the ATO website at

  • Re-contribution of COVID early release of super

    Individuals who received a COVID-19 early release of super (for 2019/20 and 2020/21) may be able to re-contribute up to the amount they received without the contributions counting towards their non-concessional cap.

    Eligibility for COVID-19 re-contributions is dependent on current Work Test rules and exemptions. For more information on the work test requirements refer to our How Super Works Guide.

    You can make the COVID-19 re-contribution to any fund of your choice. The re-contribution is not required to be paid to the fund where you accessed the COVID-19 early release amounts.

    To make a re-contribution please complete the Notice of re-contribution of COVID-19 early release amounts.

    Please note for Energy Super account holders, the receiving super fund is LGIAsuper (as the product issuer of Energy Super).

Suggested Links