Privacy statement - Your privacy is important to us
Last updated: 28 February 2019
This Privacy Statement provides you with details about the personal information we have collected from you, how we will manage that information and how to contact us if you have any privacy concerns, including if you want to make a complaint.
Why we collect personal information?
Energy Super* collects your personal information in order to:
- identify and verify your identify and conduct appropriate checks;
- answer your queries;
- communicate with you about your account and keep you informed about membership opportunities, including products, services, promotions and an online news subscriptions;
- understand your requirements and provide you with a product or service;
- manage and respond to complaints, investigations and disputes and report to dispute resolution bodies and regulatory bodies;
- process your application for membership; and
- manage our ongoing relationship with you as further described in this statement.
How we manage your personal information
We may disclose your personal information to our authorised personnel, third parties (e.g. employers) and our service providers, including our fund administration services provider (Link Group), insurers, MLC Life Insurance and Beazley, and ESI Financial Services Pty Ltd (a wholly-owned entity of Energy Super).
If we collect your personal information, we will only use and disclose your personal information for the purposes we collected it for or where you would reasonably expect us to.
We may use and disclose your personal information in order to:
- administer your account, provide insurance cover and provide services complementary to your account, such as seminars, newsletters, educational materials and access to financial advice;
- communicate with other superannuation fund trustees and administrators if you transfer your super to another fund;
- communicate with Government, Statutory or Regulatory bodies and Enforcement bodies;
- obtain legal and professional opinions;
- utilise a service from web hosting companies, software provider or web application;
- deal and communicate with any other organisation or person, where you have asked them to provide your personal information to us, asked us to obtain personal information from them, or where you have asked us to provide your personal information to them. For example, a family member or your spouse, a personal authorised under a third party authority, a third party claimant or witnesses in a claim;
- conduct market research and analysis, develop and improve our products and services, and inform you about additional products and services that may be of interest to you; and
- meet legislative and regulatory obligations.
What happens if you do not give us your personal information?
If we ask for your personal information and you don't give it to us, we may not be able to provide you with any, some, or all of the features of our products or services available to you.
How we collect your personal information
We generally collect your personal information directly from you, but may also collect it from other organisations such as your employer, your representatives, organisations who provide products or services to you jointly with us, and from publicly available sources. We may also be required to collect your personal information under anti-money laundering, corporations, family, insurance, superannuation and taxation legislation, or under court/tribunal orders.
We are likely to disclose your personal information to organisations and persons located overseas. These countries include New Zealand, the United Kingdom, Ireland, France and the United States of America, depending on the details of the transaction or other act you ask us to or we are required carry out.
* Energy Super is a reference to Electricity Supply Industry Superannuation (Qld) Ltd (ABN 30 069 634 439) (AFSL 336567) (the Trustee), as Trustee for Energy Super (ABN 33 761 363 685) (the Fund). Energy Super is a member of the ESI Group.
© COPYRIGHT 2018 ENERGY SUPER